Monday, March 22, 2010

Speak and Spell

In my stocking this past year for Christmas Santa gave me a talking pedometer. I had been running my mouth (instead of my feet!) and so this seemed like a practical gift.

For a short time I had a pedometer that I got in McDonald's happy meal that had princesses or superheros or something on the outside. But it didn't talk to me like this special new one. Theoretically, this little device is supposed to alert me when I get to milestones in my walk, and also plays a few different songs with the pace of my step. In reality, though, this little creature of Satan only talks in the middle of the night.

There were a couple of nights where my roommate was awoken from her sleep by an electronic voice in our living room. After sleepily investigating she figured out it was the devilish talking pedometer. There is absolutely no way to turn the talking or alarm off so we just reset it to a time that we are usually not at home.

It's hard for me not to think of the Dane Cook sketch "Speak and Spell" when I think of the pedometer. While I'm still not using the pedometer to count my steps, I have been using it as a chip clip to hold bags of snacks closed. Everyone wins!

Click Here to Watch Dane Cook's "Speak and Spell"

1 comment:

  1. Chip-clip pedometer. I smell a fresh new marketing scheme.
    "Tired of having all your bags of chips run stale after a night of bingeing?"
    "Don't know what to do with all of your gently used pedometers...?"

    ReplyDelete